Wednesday 29 May 2013

Ssshhhh..... its a secret

Wow, there's lots of mixed opinion on whether to be open or secretive about gastric band surgery.  I've thought about this one long and hard, I've discussed it over and over with a good friend.....

My initial thoughts were "I'm keeping it a secret, but will tell a selected few close friends and family......", mainly because I didn't want the negativity, criticism and extra pressure of feeling that people were watching what I was eating, or not eating, drinking or not drinking, continually asking about the weightloss or not etc  

"I've had a hernia repair or gallbladder op" was going to be my routine answer, if anyone asked where I was last week.  "I'm on a calorie controlled diet with lots of exercise" if anyone asks about my weightloss.....................
....................................but you know, its not sitting comfortably with me - I'm really not very good at telling porkies, and don't feel comfortable with the elaborated stories, so if anyone asks......................
..................................."I've had minor stomach surgery" and if people dig deeper "I've had WLS (weightloss surgery)"...I won't volunteer the information, but equally I won't lie!

As hubbie pointed out:  It has bugger all to do with anyone else, so they can stick the negativity where the sun don't shine!

(For those of you that haven't researched gastric band surgery.... please don't be hoodwinked into believing that it is the easy option, and that weight just miraculously melts away like magic...... it'll take hardwork, motivation, exercise, and sensible lifelong choices for the weight to go.  No amount of surgery will cure the headhunger.... and slider foods (eg chocolate, cake, crisps etc) are the easiest foods to eat, but obviously the wrong ones!)
The band is a tool, not a magic wand!


No comments:

Post a Comment